Because I live in China, I cannot go to the supermarket and buy a pancake mix so I have to make it from scratch. After using various recipes for the past few years, I decided that I would make my own recipe that was easier to make, remember, uses fewer cooking tools, and tastes delicious!
1 cup milk
1 Tablespoon vinegar
2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
1 1/2 cup flour
2 Tablespoons white sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla powder (or liquid - add later)
Note: These directions don't have to be followed exactly. I do it this way to use the least amount of cooking tools as I can while minimizing preparation time. For example, I add dry ingredients first so that I can reuse the same measuring cup without cleaning it. If you add wet ingredients first, you will have to clean and dry your measuring cup before adding the dry ingredients (or use multiple cups; which I am trying to avoid).
- Add 1 1/2 cup of flour (just use the 1/2 cup 3 times) and 2 Tablespoons sugar to a mixing bowl.
- In a tall cup or glass add 1 Tablespoon vinegar and 1 cup of milk
- Add the rest of the dry ingredients to the mixing bowl that has the flour and sugar (1 teaspoon baking soda, baking powder, salt, and vanilla powder [if you don't have vanilla powder, you can add vanilla flavoring to the milk]). Mix everything together.
- Add 2 eggs and 2 Tablespoons oil to the milk. Mix until a consistent texture.
- Add the milk and egg mixture to the mixing bowl with the powders.
- Use the 1/2 measuring cup to pour your pancake mixture.