How to buy a used car.

Purchasing a Used Car from a Private Party
by Monty Hawkins

Purchasing a used car allows you to have a quality automobile without paying for all of the depreciation. I choose not to buy from the dealership as they are professional salesmen and make their money by negotiating the highest price possible. The private seller is looking to get fair market value.

Anyone can follow the steps below and purchase a quality vehicle while saving money.

1. Start with plenty of time.

One of the most important things when purchasing a car is to start with plenty of time. Having time on your side puts you in a much better position all throughout the buying process. You are not rushed and can avoid making a decision you may regret later.

2. Determine your budget, and then stick to it.

You must determine is how much money you want to spend. Honestly assess your budget. Paying with cash is ideal, however if you are going to take out a loan you must determine how much money you can afford. For a loan I recommend getting pre-approved for a 3-4 year loan at a local credit union. Doing this helps you know upfront what the monthly payments will be. You can calculate the cost of monthly payments by using a simple loan calculator. Do not focus in on monthly payments, but on the total cost of the car.

3. Decide on a car in your price range.

Sometimes people don't know where to start and that is okay. If you don't have a specific year/make/model you are looking for ask friends, family, and coworkers what they enjoy. You can read opinions from real owners at the Edmunds.com. Enter the make model and year at the top of the webpage and then scroll to ‘What Others are Saying’ and click on ‘See All 213 reviews’. Read many reviews to get a fair representation.

Once you find a car you are interested in you can check car values at Kelly Blue Book to find what you can expect to pay. If the car you are looking for is out of your price range, you may have to look for an older model to stay within budget. Don’t be afraid to look at other cars which fall in the same class (i.e. Honda Accord, expand to include Toyota Camry and the Nissan Altima). The total mileage the car has can affect the price. The fewer the miles the more the car is going to cost.

Before you move on to the next step, decide on a car which will fit in your price range. This will protect you from purchasing outside of your budget.

4. Start looking through online classifieds.

Once you have decided on a specific year make and model combination which fits your budget it is time to start looking. This step takes me the longest, be patient. Craigslist is one of the more well known websites for used cars.  Choose 'Car and Trucks by Owner' to avoid looking through dealers ads. Regional online classifieds can be helpful. For example in the state of Utah, almost everyone uses KSLCars.com. The first time you go online to look you will not find the exact car which is right for you. Be patient and be willing to check back periodically.

I have two caveats about online classifieds. The first is to be wary of deals which are too good to be true. If it is too good to be true, it is a scam. The second is to avoid a car with a restored/salvage title. If the ad doesn’t say if it is a restored/salvage title, ask the seller. In my experience most sellers are upfront and honest about this.

When you find a car which interests you, email or call the seller to ask some questions. My standard questions include why are they selling the car, what is their favorite aspect about the car, is there anything wrong with the car, does it have a clean title, how many miles does it have, what is the asking price, and any other pertinent questions.

5. Set up an appointment to test drive the car.

Bring a friend with you to test drive the car. They will provide a second opinion and a voice of reason. Meet the seller and ask about the car. Find out what they like and don’t like about it. Ask if the car was driven by a smoker or if someone transported a pet inside of it. The smell may be masked for a few days, but when the true odor comes out you will regret your purchase. If you have any concerns about the seller don’t buy a car from them.

If you are initially interested by what you see, take the car for a test drive to see if you like how it handles. Test it on the freeway. Test it on a winding hilly road. Drive it for at least fifteen minutes. Remember you will be driving this car for a while. Listen for abnormal engine noise, rattles, and squeaks.

6. Have the car mechanically inspected by the dealership.

This is one of my favorite steps. When you find a car you are seriously considering, have it inspected at the dealership. For around $60 you can get the same inspection the dealership gives to the used cars they sell. Often the dealer will provide you with a copy of the vehicle history report if you ask. It includes negative history on the car (accidents/stolen/floods).

The dealer will also tell you which repairs need to be done. This will help you determine any repair costs. You can use this to get the seller to lower the price of the vehicle or to arrange for the repairs. This avoids discovering defects after the vehicle is your full responsibility.
7. Negotiate a price and seal the deal.

If you want to buy the car let the seller know you like the car, but you need a day or two to talk it over with your spouse/significant other/parents. This will buy you some time and let you think clearly about the deal at hand. Base your offer on the asking price, fair market value, and any necessary repairs. Once you come up with a counter offer and agree on a price you can sign the contract.

Once you have signed a contract you own the car. Congratulations. I hope this helps when it comes time for you to purchase your next car. If you have any feedback, feel free to comment below.
Next Post »

68 comments

Write comments
Ann Burkett
November 10, 2013 at 9:01 PM delete

Perhaps this is a good idea if you know the seller personally or if someone you trust refers him.

Anonymous
November 16, 2013 at 9:56 AM delete

This is a great article. I can see how it would help people save hundreds or thousands over what they would pay at the dealership. Thanks for posting this helpful information.

Asif Baig
November 20, 2013 at 9:03 PM delete

I think your article will give those people a good reminding. And they will express thanks to you later.Saffran International Co Ltd is a used vehicle exporter based in Tokyo-Japan, dedicated to being your source of quality Distributor of used Japanese vehicles.

used truck from japan

Evie Fisken
November 25, 2013 at 1:25 AM delete

Nice post.There are lot of benefits of buying a used car .Used car is cheap in price , you don't have to give vat for it ,but if you buy a new car you have to give vat on its price, you don't need to license it if it has previous license . Thanks to share this valuable post .
used cars for sale

aliah
January 21, 2014 at 2:52 AM delete

I think buying a used car is good idea. when you are looking to buy used car you should take auto expert advice. auto expert can help a lot in buying good used car.
Sungwoo Automotive

Jack Deni
January 28, 2014 at 11:48 PM delete

Hi,

Luxury used cars for Sale has been decided based on the appearance and the gas mileage, opting for a used car would surely guarantee the value along with the reliability. Thank you....

Adriano Clark
February 18, 2014 at 1:50 AM delete

I love this blog because it is user friendly with appreciative information, It is also a big help for those who would like to buying a used car. There are a lot of benefits of buying a used car.

Car Sales Brampton

February 26, 2014 at 5:19 AM delete

I really appreciate you for giving your valuable time to write this post. I can see how it would help people saving few bucks in their account by following your useful post on selling their used cars Thanks for sharing this helpful information.

Zunair zain
April 8, 2014 at 9:18 AM delete

I shall now enrich your life by sharing with you about Used cars for sale. Many an afternoon has been enjoyed by a family, bonding over the discussion of Used cars for sale. Indispensable to homosapians today, Used cars for sale is featuring more and more in the ideals of the young and upwardly mobile.

Stacey Beck
April 21, 2014 at 1:40 PM delete

My husband has finally convinced me that we need to buy a truck. It's something he's wanted for a long time. We found a used one that is in great condition and we would be dumb not to get it.

david
May 29, 2014 at 9:02 PM delete

It is very interesting and informative as well. I found what I was looking for a long time. Thanks For Sharing this..

Houston Used Cars

sanam arzoo
May 31, 2014 at 2:30 AM delete

I truly appreciate looking at and also pursuing ones publish when i obtain them extremely useful and also fascinating. This specific publish is actually equally useful in addition to fascinating.Used Cars

Rahamtul Bari
June 2, 2014 at 1:10 PM delete

Thank you for the fantastic article. The place else could anyone get that kind of info in such a perfect means of writing? I have a presentation next week, and I am at the search for such information.
To get new information visit here
buying a new car

dealerdirt
June 4, 2014 at 11:49 PM delete

We bring over a decade of online automotive experience, specializing in sales, management and consumer advocacy and are committed to bringing together dealers and real customers with a trendy and social source of information.

caretyre554
June 6, 2014 at 11:28 PM delete

I Interesting post. I have been wondering about this issue,so thanks for posting.
To get new information visit here
auto mechanic Brisbane
Car Services Brisbane

June 16, 2014 at 9:45 AM delete

Hello
I completely agree with your points, If any one wants to buy used car so I think just go with Japanese used car. Because nothing is better than japan cars, you just need to participate in Live japan car import auction.
car recovery

Shelly
June 17, 2014 at 10:48 PM delete

Mechanically testing the car and having a test drive is really important of you are buying a used car as many of the times any engine related problem can make your deal a total loss. Also ensure the authenticity of the dealer or the seller before buying the car and as "Ann Burkett: said its always a good idea to buy a car from someone whom you know personally.

June 27, 2014 at 6:43 AM delete This comment has been removed by the author.
July 1, 2014 at 4:04 AM delete

I am very enjoyed for this blog. I feel strongly about it and love learning more on this topic.
If possible, as you gain expertise, would you mind updating your blog with more information? It is extremely helpful for me.
I know something information, to know you can click here.. auto mechanic Brisbane
car servicing brisbane

jyoti soni
July 2, 2014 at 2:29 AM delete

Thank you for sharing valuable information. Nice post. I enjoyed reading this post. The whole blog is very nice found some good stuff and good information here Thanks..Also visit my page used car dealer license  DLC Network offer all kind of dealer and brokers licensing solutions including auction license, auto broker’s license, auto dealer license, auto sales license, car sales and car dealer license.

Seamus Lowe
July 17, 2014 at 1:16 PM delete

It's also a good idea to have your own mechanic look over the car you're looking at. Having a mechanic you trust tell you about the car will help you know exactly what you're going to need to repair. Make sure to have multiple opinions about any car.
-Seamus | http://www.buyherepayherekc.com

Jimmy Davis
July 25, 2014 at 7:35 PM delete

Yeah, I think it is a great idea, but it is rather hefty. I bought my mini trucks from a recommendation of a friend.

Amber Johnson
August 1, 2014 at 11:33 AM delete

I am looking into buying a used car. I don't much about buying cars so I appreciate your tips. I agree that it is smart to decide on a price range before you go. I could see myself spending more than I want by not deciding on a price range before.

Amber | http://smithfordoflowell.com/Chicago-IL/For-Sale/Used/

August 11, 2014 at 9:52 AM delete

I think it's definitely important to do all the research you can on a used car before buying it. A friend of mine recently bought a used car that didn't run because it had been previously totaled. She didn't know that, and after a week it stopped working. Do your research. That way you don't waste your money on a used car that doesn't function. http://www.gagelsautosales.com

Jerry Boggs
August 18, 2014 at 10:06 AM delete

I am going to purchase a used car, and this article has been very helpful. I appreciate the advice on negotiation because that is something I struggle with. Maybe I can bring along someone to speak for me.

September 11, 2014 at 12:39 PM delete

You never know the power of negotiation until you master it! You can really knock some numbers down on a used car. Hopefully we can get a good deal on the car we are going to buy for our son.

Thomas Watson
October 23, 2014 at 9:11 AM delete

Good tips. You should also be willing to walk away. Prepare ahead of time and don't let your emotions get you in over your head.

Calvin James
November 21, 2014 at 8:05 PM delete

I bought a "new" used car last year and sold my broken down Civic. I was able to get $500 towards my next car! I was pretty excited about how much I got for a car that didn't run. Most people think their only option is paying someone to come pick up their car if it breaks down. As long as you have a trailer, this doesn't have to be the only option! http://www.upicksave.com/123-sell-us-your-car/

gulmina khan
December 4, 2014 at 3:22 AM delete

If you want a cab this is a must visit blog for you!!
taxi in tunbridge wells

Tanjina Toni
December 4, 2014 at 8:22 AM delete

hydrogen gas generator
kipor generator review
used car engine

Engines & Generators - Everything Engines & Generators. Stirling Engine Generator,Steam Engines,Mini Generators,Engine Kits,Model Engines,Used Engines,Kipor Generators Hydrogen Generators,Steam Engine Kits,Crate Engines,Used Engines for Sale and more information then visit: www.engines-n-generators.com

December 11, 2014 at 6:58 PM delete

Thanks for the awesome tips. I've been looking for a used car for the longest time. I really haven't had that much luck so far, and I guess that's why I'm here. Do you think buying a used car is cheaper than buying a new car, at least in the long run?

Tanjina Toni
December 16, 2014 at 9:08 AM delete

mini hydro generator
mini wind generator

saffran autos
December 18, 2014 at 1:19 AM delete

Nice post
There are lot of benefits of buying a used car.
I think buying a used car is good idea.

Japanese second hand cars for sale

December 21, 2014 at 11:38 PM delete

Nice information about car parts and it's suppliers.Thanks for sharing it. Used Engine Mount For Sale

Megan Jones
December 30, 2014 at 11:19 AM delete

Having a budget is very important. Buying the car is only the beginning of finances for a car. Owning and taking care of the car is something that should really be heavily considered. My family has had good luck with owning used cars, but that is not the case for everyone. Doing your research and knowing what kind of car you are getting is the best way to decide what kind of car you want to buy.

Slarty Melger
January 5, 2015 at 2:44 PM delete

I've done the inspection thing before while I was "test driving" the car. I said that I wanted to take it on the freeway to see how it would handle, then I took it to an auto shop. They confirmed my doubt saying that it was bound to break down soon. It was a good investment to take it there.

January 7, 2015 at 2:04 AM delete

Thanks for sharing this valuable blog with us. For used Japanese cars in London,UK at affordable prices,visit my page Honda Jazz .

Cheers

david
January 18, 2015 at 10:02 PM delete

I am going to buy used car houston but I don't know which is the best option for me as it will be my first vehicle ever.

Zach Thalman
January 22, 2015 at 5:46 PM delete

It is really important to take the car out for a test drive. You don't want to get a car that has problems or isn't working properly. One of the first things I learned when getting a used car was to take the car out for a drive. It is also important to see if you like the feel of the ride. http://www.miraclemilemotors.com/aboutus.aspx

January 30, 2015 at 9:06 PM delete

Taking the car for a test drive is one of the most important things you can do. While the car may look great, you will only really get a feel for the car's quality when you take it out for a test drive. You are making a big financial decision, do you best to leave your desires at the door and making a purely logical decision. http://www.carcraftautosales.com

Tom Hudson
AUTHOR
January 30, 2015 at 11:59 PM delete This comment has been removed by the author.
Tom Hudson
January 31, 2015 at 12:00 AM delete

Test drive must be on top priority before you make any decision to buy a vehicle. Only after drive you will come to know if its comfortable and easy to drive. So also take vehicle for test drive before buying it.

Kin Folk Auto Sales

Rachel Benson
January 31, 2015 at 9:18 AM delete

I really like your advice to have the car mechanically inspected before purchasing a used car. It seems like a good idea to make sure there are no major mechanical issues before spending all your money on a car. My brother is looking for a used car and he doesn't have a budget or a specific idea of what car he wants. I think that has made the process really hard. http://www.LeeKinstle.com

david
February 6, 2015 at 10:22 AM delete

its very interesting and informative I enjoyed reading this post. Thank you for sharing. used toyota houston

February 13, 2015 at 12:51 AM delete

I like your blog on this topic is well-written and original. Your information is really interesting to all readers.
Hope youcontinue to keep up with this blog and will provide us some more information related to
buy online car parts

February 24, 2015 at 1:21 PM delete

I like your tips about having the car inspected before purchasing it. It's also good to test a bunch of different cars, including the one you actually want. You want to be able to compare different cars and how they run. Of course, I've also heard about certified used cars. If you can find one of those cars, you wont' need the inspection. http://www.usedcarskingsport.com

James Martin
February 27, 2015 at 2:25 AM delete

I like your post very much. You mentioned a plenty of information regarding How to buy used car? I also want to tell you one thing before buying a used car be assured that the dealer provides you a certified cars.
Used Car Dealerships in Texas

March 2, 2015 at 3:44 AM delete

7)If you are looking for high quality and low price used vehicles company is the one stop solution.used Cars for sale

wesley gibson
March 11, 2015 at 4:15 AM delete

Thanks to share these amazing tips with us. I like your advice when we have not high budge to buy new car then select used car. Thanks again to advice How to buy used car and what's the point before buying used car. :)

March 28, 2015 at 11:07 PM delete

I found your website the other day and after reading a handful of posts, thought I would say thank you for all the great content.
Keep it coming! I will try to stop by here more often. To get more relevant information visit here
sell my car

May 29, 2015 at 7:25 AM delete

Nice post and very valuable information for all . thanks for sharing with us .

Anonymous
July 7, 2015 at 2:56 AM delete

I don't think is the best Idea. Even if you know the seller they won't tell you exact information that you need to know. I suggest to read some history reports if you google or pay as little as $4.99 like I did from VinAudit. Found this 50% off discount coupon online http://www.vinaudit.com/coupon=JQEBL50OFF the cheapest price for complete report that I know. I hope it helps.

July 24, 2015 at 9:49 AM delete

Buying a used car is great because when repairs do inevitably pop up, you'll have the extra cash you saved to pay for them.

August 12, 2015 at 10:39 AM delete

Excellent tips! Thank you for sharing

Cali Jordan
September 18, 2015 at 12:37 PM delete

It is really very good tip when search a Cars for Sale, thanks for sharing.

September 28, 2015 at 11:24 AM delete

Hardest thing to do, but really important, is to stick to a budget. Set a price and then stick to it as close as possible. Sometimes there might be a great reason to change price, but in the long run, making that decision will help a lot of situations that can go wrong.

troms harry
September 29, 2015 at 7:20 AM delete

After all car will be yours, then before investing the money should inspect all things properly... and i also recommend to check previous records of that car you are going to buy like, is car has accidental, taxes, confirm ownership...etc

Mazda Bongo Friendee

October 7, 2015 at 12:02 AM delete

I like your post, I am also planning to buy an used car soon but I was scared of the fraud issues rises after the deal of vehicle. your post gave me a vision that what I should check before buying car. I also heard about Revs Check But I don't have that information about it, please tell me about it if you know about thick check service. Thanks.

November 11, 2015 at 7:18 AM delete

Where can I find used auto parts online?
used car parts

November 26, 2015 at 5:41 AM delete

Thanks for providing the auto industry information Used Cars Houston
. it is really awesome. I like

Austin Max
December 2, 2015 at 2:30 AM delete

I should now advance your life by offering to you about Used autos available to be purchased. Numerous an evening has been delighted in by a family, holding over the examination of Used autos available to be purchased. Vital to homosapians today, Used autos available to be purchased is including more in the standards of the youthful and upwardly portable. classified ads dubai

Rose Maria
December 2, 2015 at 4:09 AM delete

What car rental companies will rent cars to 18 year olds?
exotic bmw

December 3, 2015 at 11:10 AM delete

This is really awesome and amazing information that have been posted here.Thanks for the nice post. Used Car Dealer in Houston TX

Janice
January 15, 2016 at 3:23 AM delete

Purchasing a used car from a private owner is not a bad idea if you know the seller personally. You can save hundreds of dollars that you pay over dealership and you don’t have to give VAT on it. But you have to act smartly. You can also take auto expert advice before finalizing the deal. Don’t forget to check car’s warranty.

Warrantech

Nicky Paul
January 18, 2016 at 5:13 AM delete

If you want to hire best car then Contact Us Now to hire Royal Ride Car in affordable price.Pick and drop service is available.
limo service annapolis md

Copy this HTML tag to allow you to leave a link in your comment:
<a href="http://link url">link text</a> ConversionConversion EmoticonEmoticon