How to create a winter landscape scene using the Gimp

This week I went skiing with my family and took a picture I thought would make a nice winter scene.  I will show you how to do it in the Gimp.

I took this picture skiing and really liked the shadows on the tree.  I want to isolate the tree and shadows.

First thing we can do is use the resynthesizer plugin to get rid of some of the elements of the photo.  If you are unsure how to do this, check out my previous tutorial.

Use the resynthesizer plugin or clone tool to get rid of as many elements as possible.

I used separate layers to make it easier to work with the landscape and the sky.

With the sky layer, I erased everything but the sky gradient.

I used resynthesizer plugin to fill in the rest.  (Note: This took FOREVER.  It would probably be faster to do the gradient by hand)

I added a Gaussian blur.

At this point, I put the sky layer behind the tree I was working with, then used the eraser tool and clone tool to get rid of the elements behind the branches of the tree.

This is pretty tedious.  Stick with it, or work with an easier photo.

I played with the saturation to take a lot of the color out.

Worked more with the branches.

Played more with the sky saturation to get it to match the snow more.

After flattening the image, I used the healing tool to make the transition between sky and snow seem less noticeable.

Play with the levels.

A tree with shadows.
Next Post »

10 comments

Write comments
Androgen
AUTHOR
February 9, 2011 at 1:57 AM delete

nice.
i should try it sometime

Anonymous
AUTHOR
July 4, 2011 at 1:05 AM delete

NO Pics?

id scanner
AUTHOR
September 26, 2011 at 9:35 AM delete

Pretty cool ! You indeed did great job. I would love to try it. I hope that I am also able to do the things in the same manner as you did. Can you please send me scanned copy of it ..I would be very grateful to you :)

Mike
AUTHOR
September 28, 2011 at 2:25 PM delete

Really impressive. The way you have explained specifically by putting the snapshots for every step is really helpful. I would really try it out using the guidelines you have provided and I am sure it will make a pretty good one. Will share my experience with you soon.
forum widget

KVM Switches
AUTHOR
March 30, 2012 at 2:43 AM delete

I really like Gimp and we can create our business card also. There is obviously a lot to know about this technology. I like to stress that you made some good cards by using Gimp. Business card is the identity of any business. It is as important as the logo of your company. That’s why the business card of your company should be clean, elegant and stylish. A business card is a great way to represent yourself and your talent level to front of anyone. I am hoping the same best work from you in the future as well.
KVM Switches

June 21, 2012 at 5:45 AM delete

Well, I just found your blog through search engine. Actually I didn't intend to visit it before, yet after I read your article, I just can say that it's so inspiring. Thanks for making such nice article!

Maria
AUTHOR
October 1, 2012 at 3:02 PM delete

Ephilanthropy Assistance Glendale, you're such a spammer!

October 21, 2012 at 11:41 PM delete

This all adds up on top of the other fundraising projects that the organisation has got going. Many charities have already benefited from Philanthropic giving over the past few years.

Anonymous
AUTHOR
November 19, 2012 at 12:52 PM delete

I enjoy what you guys tend to be up too. This kind of clever work and
reporting! Keep up the terrific works guys I've added you guys to my blogroll.
My web blog :: learn more here

Anonymous
AUTHOR
August 17, 2013 at 1:59 PM delete

How to clean your vehicle's headlights - Use toothpaste - Tutorial Geek
And a tennis ball to rub it in

tutorialgeek.blogspot.com/.../how-to-clean-your-vehicles-headlights.html‎

Jan 11, 2011 - Using toothpaste is cheaper way to clean your Headlight Bulbs. Reply .... My lights seem so dim from this crappy plastic car makers use. Reply ...

Copy this HTML tag to allow you to leave a link in your comment:
<a href="http://link url">link text</a> ConversionConversion EmoticonEmoticon